ROMANS 1:1-7: PAUL

In these first seven verses I find four descriptions of Paul that he desires his Roman readers to  know about him.  Paul had never visited Rome so his readers only know about him from others.  He introduces himself with these four traits.
A servant of Christ Jesus 
  1. First, Paul says he is a servant.  this is  a free and voluntary submission of Paul to Jesus.  Paul is so overwhelmed by the grace of Jesus toward him that he freely becomes his slave.
Called to be an apostle
Paul next realizes that he has been called to a particular work in the kingdom of Christ.  In this statement we see what work God has done in the life of Paul.  he is called. 
 
Set apart for the gospel
The third characteristic Paul wishes his readers to know about him is that he was not only called to be an apostle but he was set apart for the gospel.  What would our Christian faith look like today if that statement wasn't true?  what, in a grander scale, would the world look like today without Paul and his being set apart for the gospel?  This further defined God's grasp on Paul's life.
Received grace and apostleship
finally, Paul lets Rome know that he was the recipient of grace and apostleship.  Note the order, grace comes before the calling of apostleship.  apart from grace apostleship would mean nothing.  Paul always looked back to the interruption of his life by the Savior on the road to Damascus.   He constantly focuses his gaze upon that grace which took place at the cross.
 
Application:
What do I learn from Paul's description of himself:
  1. To be amazed at what God has done at the cross will allow me to freely give myself to Him. 
  2. god has placed a call on my life.  It won't be to apostleship but nevertheless there is a call to work in His kingdom. 
  3. My whole existence should be about the gospel.  May I never forget that Jesus died for me a wicked sinner.
  4. Grace has extended down to me from a loving sovereign God.  May  I receive it daily and pass it on.
 
Isaac Watts penned these beautiful lines:
 

Alas! and did my Savior bleed?

And did my Sovereign die?

Would He devote that sacred head

For such a worm as I?

Was it for crimes that I have done

He groaned upon the tree?

Amazing pity! Grace unknown!

And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide

And shut its glories in,

When Christ, the mighty Maker, died

For man the creature's sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face

While His dear cross appears;

Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,

And melt mine eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne'er repay

The debt of love I owe:

Here, Lord, I give myself away -

'Tis all that I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment